BeesHIVE

A GREAT PLEASURE IN LIFE IS DOING WHAT OTHERS SAY YOU CAN'T

Sunday, July 09, 2006

The Nina, The Pinta, and The Santa Maria


I had a great weekend. I got to go out sailing for the second time. The first trip I made in September 2005 was great, but this trip was better. The only reason it was better was that the water was much calmer and I didn't get motion sickness. We sailed out to Anacapa Island from Ventura Harbor. The best part of both trips were the dolphins. There isn't much more that is as awesome as sitting at the bow of the boat and watching the dolphins swim with you. I was even able to hear them! I am not sure what kind they were but there were lots of them and some really young ones too.
Being out on the sailboat watching how much work it takes to adjust the sails, made me think f the early explorers. I can't even begin to think how CRAZY it must have been to be one of the first to explore the unknown oceans without GPS. It's a good thing that exploring the new worlds was not up to me. There is no way I could have been that adventurous. My hat goes off to all those that did!

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 6:26 PM , Blogger carmilevy said...

    Damn, that's cool! When I was a teenager in camp, I learned to sail Lasers. It was the most exhilerating feeling to have the sheets in one hand and the tiller in the other as I hiked myself over the side of the heeling boat.

    It's impossible to describe that feeling of being barely in control, balancing the myriad forces acting on the vessel and on my body. It was magical...I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

     
  • At 6:06 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Cool! Hey!! You are Linked!!!

    :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home