BeesHIVE

A GREAT PLEASURE IN LIFE IS DOING WHAT OTHERS SAY YOU CAN'T

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

TRAVEL TUESDAYS #5


I have been thinking about my dad a lot these last several months, so I decided to post about him and his life. My dad was a Peshmerga (translates to 'those who face death') with the KDP (Kurdistan Democratic Party). He fought for freedom for the Kurds for many years. During my trip to Kurdistan I was lucky enough to have my dad take me around most of North Eastern Iraq, Kurdistan to show me his old stompin' grounds. This one place in particular was special to him because they named the location after my father. Unfortunately I don't have all the details today about the battle. The little I do remember is that my father and his men were able to strategically place themselves on this hillside near a road to fight the Iraqi army. The road was the only way for the Iraqi army to get from on base to another. My father and his men were successful in the battle, hence having the hill named after my father.












My dad standing in front of his hill in the traditional Kurdish clothing men wear.

...brother, sister, dad and myself. Did I mention it was HOT this day? About 120 F +.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • At 7:32 AM , Blogger Vacations said...

    Best wishes you all from Istanbul...

     
  • At 11:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh my...I am so glad you found me! I had no idea you were back.

    What a wonderful tribute to your father. It is nice to have heroes in our life. Your pictures are wonderful.

    Take care,
    Connie

     
  • At 9:09 PM , Blogger kenju said...

    Michele sent me; what interesting photos and handsome people. I cannot imagine being in 120* temps. The most I have experienced was 105* in Phoenix. Ouch!

     
  • At 9:03 PM , Blogger carmilevy said...

    Sounds like a true hero to me. I am inspired when I read of people who risked it all to fight for their very future.

    How neat that he was able to share it first-hand with you. Cool.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home