Race For The Cure

Yeserday morning was the Susan Komen Race for the Cure. This isn't the race I have been training for, but I thought it would be good practice and I was supposed to run 3 miles anyway as part of my training. Usually I sign up to do the fun walk with friends. I did a lot better than I thought I would. I am very proud of myself. The race was a 5K and I ran it in under 30 minutes! They haven't posted the resultson hte internet yet, but I will definelty post it here once I find out.
I was supposed to get out of bed at 6:30 yesterday morning. This would have given me enough time to shave my legs, get dressed and get to the race site (Fresno State) by 7:30. The female timed race started at 8 am. I was to lazy and just lied there until 7:05 when I finally decided to drag my ass out of bed. There was no time to shave my legs, I had to deal with some hairy gams. The entire morning I kept checking out every body's shaved legs (even some men!) and was super self conscious of my own. I am sure it wasn't that bad, but the first thing I did when I got home was I got in the tub and shaved them.
During the race, I thought I was going to die the first 0.5 mile. I have been doing most of my training at night, so 8 am was a little difficult for me. But I knew if I didn't finish the race without stoppin/walking I would have to run at night to get my training in. I kept running. It wasn't until I got to mile 2 that I got some energy to pick up my pace. It might have been my ego, whatever it was I started passing people. Let me tell you, what a fabulous feeling that is! I was in pain but I didn't care. I would get my sight on someone and think, should this person be able to run better than me? The answer would be no, so I would pass them. I tried to sprint the last 100 feet or so, but I couldn't give anymore. Regardless, I am still very proud of myself! I think this gave me the motivation to train harder for my 10K coming up on Thanksgiving Day. I even contemplated going back to one of my old dreams of running a marathon...




1 Comments:
At 6:18 AM ,
Ramona said...
Good for you! Congratulations! There is nothing quite as exhilarating as the feel of accomplishment, is there?
Glad that you didn't let your hairy legs drag you back!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home